The decision to remodel your kitchen is one of the best investments you can make. The kitchen is where the people will spend most of their waking hours while they are home. It is where they cook, eat, and gather with the family. It is where they talk share ideas about the latest trends and fashions. It is no surprise that the remodeling of the kitchen is at the top of the list of home improvement projects in the Greater Toronto Area. Advanced Finished Basements will help you increase the value of your home.
Kitchen remodeling, however, can be a very messy and disruptive home improvement project. And the length of the disruption can take as long as a month, or more, even with a well planned out plan. At AFB, we care about making the transition from your old kitchen to your new kitchen a pleasant experience. Our owner is hand on, from the first meeting, to the last clean up.
- Kitchen Cabinets – Kitchen cabinets are essential in preparing our meals as well as storing our food and dishes. We spend a great deal of time at home in the kitchen. Without kitchen cabinets, these everyday activities would be an arduous undertaking.
- Kitchen Flooring – Kitchen floors need to be tough enough to handle the mistreatment that it receives every single day. It must be easy to clean and maintain.
Kitchen Cabinets for your Home
Kitchen cabinets are essential in preparing our meals as well as storing our food and dishes. We spend a great deal of time at your Atlanta home in the kitchen. Without kitchen cabinets, these everyday activities would be an arduous undertaking. It is important when planning a new kitchen to take your time and do thorough research.
Kitchen sink cabinets are often centered on a widow providing better lighting as well as a view of the outdoors. Doors are mounted below for storage and access to plumbing. The dishwasher is located to the left or right of the sink cabinet for easy access. Cook-tops are cut into the counter top while large drawers are installed below. Pots and pans are stored here for easy access. The top drawer must be cut thinner to allow it to pass unobstructed under the cook-top. If your cook-top is too thick the top drawer is eliminated altogether leaving a dummy front. This can flip down and a plastic tray can be mounted for storing small cooking utensils.
The pantry can be a cabinet, or simply a closet with shelving. If the pantry is part of the kitchen cabinets it can have pull out drawers or fold out can storage. Whichever way you decide to design your pantry cabinet it will hold your canned goods, boxed foods, and many other food items we use in the kitchen.
At Advanced Finished Basements, we don’t just do basements we provide full installation of all types kitchen cabinets for your home.
Kitchen Flooring for your Home
Is it time to decide on kitchen flooring in your remodeling project? It can be a difficult decision when you’re not sure of exactly what you need. Kitchen floors need to be tough enough to handle the mistreatment that it receives every single day. It must be easy to clean and maintain. There will be many food spills so carpet is not a good choice for the kitchen. It is not just difficult to clean but it’s also not very hygienic. Contaminants can be trapped in the fibers of the carpets. So, what kind of flooring would be appropriate? There are many types to choose from: hardwood, marble, slate, ceramic tile, vinyl, and wood laminates.
If you are drawn to wood floors, your best choice would be laminate. Laminate looks like wood but is very durable. It has the added benefits of being easy to install, repels stains and isn’t easily damaged by water. It is also more affordable than slate or tile. True wood floors don’t handle water damage and stains well since they absorb any moisture that falls on them. They usually have to be sanded and re-stained on a regular basis. If they’re badly damaged, the floor will have to be ripped out and replaced. Wood floor maintenance is a tricky business because any moisture must be wiped up, and dried off, immediately.
Many people like to use slate or ceramic tiles in the kitchen because of their durability. The range of color choices and styles also makes them a good choice from a decorating point of view. The three forms of tile to look for are porcelain, ceramic, slate and quarry. One reason tile is so popular is that if one tile should break; you can simply replace it with another one without having to redo the entire floor. To prevent accidents when using slate tile, be sure that the slate used in kitchens is of the low-gloss type. High-gloss slate can become very slippery when wet. Both ceramic tiles and slate tiles are very durable. You don’t have to worry overly about water damage or stains.
Vinyl flooring is making a come-back. It is not quite as durable as tile, but is still water resistant. You can purchase vinyl either in sheets or in tiles. It’s very easy to install and easy on the feet when you have to stand in the kitchen to cook and wash dishes. Vinyl tiles are less water resistant than sheet vinyl. Another drawback is that lighter colored vinyl has a tendency to stain easily. The color choices for vinyl are many; you can find some vinyl that looks just like marble or slate without the expense.
Linoleum has come a long way since its beginning. You can now find a huge choice of styles and patterns. Linoleum is very easy to clean and is also quite resilient.
Your decision for the type of kitchen flooring should take into account your taste as well as durability and maintenance.
Custom Kitchen Designs
Building a custom kitchen for your home is a serious undertaking. Custom kitchen design needs to be carefully planned in a variety of ways. You must first formulate an idea of what you want out of your custom kitchen.
Making your custom kitchen design is a complex task that requires careful planning in several areas:
- Will you be doing minor work or a full remodeling? Full remodel luxury kitchen designs are considerably different than a simple kitchen cabinet refacing.
- Are you looking for a deluxe kitchen design or a more simple design? The first thing you should probably consider is how much are you willing to put into your custom kitchen design.
- Do you have a strong idea about what you want your new kitchen design to look like? You should begin by looking at kitchen design examples.
- Once you have selected a style, consider how your appliances will fit into your dream kitchen designs. You may want to consider built in appliances with facades to match your kitchen cabinets.
- Custom cabinets are another important part of your plan. At AFB, our custom cabinet come straight from the factory which allows us to offer wholesale custom cabinets for kitchens.
- Finding a contractor is another hassle. Thankfully, AFB is not simply just a Basement Renovator. We can plan, build and install your entire custom kitchen on your main floor.
If you are looking for a professional kitchen remodeling contractor, please call AFB today at 416-543-0927 or complete our online request form.